Najaf to Karbala Walking Suggestions, Study
By: Shahzad Hasan
Imam Jafar-e-Sadiq (A.S) said, 'If one of our Shia goes for Imam Hussain's (a.s.) Ziarat, then he will not return but all his sins will be forgiven. For every step that he or his mount takes, 1,000 virtues are written for him, 1,000 sins are forgiven and his status is elevated by 1,000 degrees.' (Behaarul Anwar, vol 101, pg 25, tradition 26; Kamiluz Ziaraat, pg 13).
* Keep on walking until the poles start - Preferably do not stop before the poles start.
* Try to spend the 1st Night in any Moukkab somewhere between 400-500 Poles.
* Try to spend the 2nd Night in any Moukkab somewhere between 950-1100 Poles.
* You should take stops after every 100/200 or so poles to re-group with family/friends and take a rest of 10-15 minutes to ease your muscles
* Start walking after Fajr and stop walking at Maghrib.
* Don’t over-stretch yourself during the walk. Take a rest, when required.
* After Namaz e Maghrib, get a place to sleep in one of the Camps or Hussainiyah - There are thousands, so you do not have to worry much.
* Try not to get too much weight with you. Do not take anything to eat or drink, there is already too much on the way.
* Take any regular medicines that would be required during the 2-3 days’ walk.
* Prefer a lightweight backpack instead of a shopping bag to carry stuff during your journey.
* Proper clothes to avoid the cold - Socks, Hand Gloves, Cap, Ear cover, Jacket & preferably a shawl.
* Any suitable cream for rashes.
* You can get a small pocket Quran/Duas/Ziyarat or put them on your mobile (if possible) to pass your time while walking.
* Don't wear new shoes - Try to wear something comfortable, that you can walk with.
* Passport, Mobile Charger (if you are carrying a mobile).
* You do not have to worry much about doing it completely. If you ever think, that you cannot continue at any point, you can take a van to reach Karbala, there are hundreds everywhere. An average male/female above the age of 10 years is 99.99% likely to complete it on the 3rd day without any issues. You should at least give it a try – it is definitely worth it!
* Make sure you know the name of the Hotel; you are intended to stay in Karbala.
* If you want to make a phone call, make it before Fajr to get your calls through, as they normally do not go through the rest of the day due to high network traffic. You can use AsiaCell’s GPRS to communicate.
Sayings of Imam Jafar-e-Sadiq (A.S) About Ziyarat-e-Imam Hussain (A.S):
- When the visitor leaves the house, each and every spot that he steps on, pray for him.
(Behaarul Anwar, vol. 101, pg 15, tradition 14)
- When the rays of the sun fall on the visitor of Imam's (a.s.) shrines, it consumes his sins like the fire consumes wooden sticks. The sun does not leave any sin on his body and he returns home sinless. In fact, on his return, he is granted a status that is not even given to those who shed their blood in Allah's path.
(Behaarul Anwar, vol 101, pg 15, tradition 14; Kamiluz Ziaraat, pg 298)
- When a Shia knows Imam Hussain's (a.s.) right over the people and leaves his house for Imam's (a.s.) ziarat in thiscondition, without any pride and conceit, then a 1,000 angels accompany him from the right, with another 1,000 angels onthe left. And he will be rewarded as if he has performed 1,000 Hajj and 1,000 Umrah with a prophet or with the successor (wasi) of a prophet.
(Behaarul Anwar, vol 101, pg 91, tradition 33).